Saturday, 18 April 2009

Finger Lickin' Good

What a week - I have been to my first Mozambican wedding! Brooke one of our ex-long term missionaries married Valdemar yesterday. The church looked lovely. Weddings here last 2 days. I didn’t go to the community ceremony at the grooms house today. The family provided chicken dinners and coke for all the kids here. I for once sat down and was served my lunch. I have to say that I really love eating with my fingers and having the grease dripping off my elbows!

Thursday night also saw Bible School graduation – it was great to be a part of that and see my students graduate. I will not be teaching next term but have really enjoyed the chance to teach this one. I do get such a buzz from teaching leadership and watching these guys realise that they can be world changers.

This week we said goodbye to an amazing team who came from St Aldates Oxford. I think this in part added to the struggle I have faced this week with real homesickness. It has suddenly hit me that I have never gone 5 months before without seeing my family. Also this week has been one of those where I miss London, the chance to go to the theatre and hear live music.


I do love being here but there is a little materialistic struggle going on inside me for a really good gig – having an Indian delivered or just hanging out with friends. Probably if I was back in London for a day I would want to run a mile – I would be struggling with reverse culture shock and wishing I was back here.

We have a new baby in the nursery. Adelide. She is 10 weeks old and her mother died about 4 weeks ago. She has not been very well since she arrived. Do pray for her. We have had a lot of sickness recently both children and long termers. I don’t know if it’s the change of season. It’s cold here now - its only 25 degrees during the day. I am wearing a jumper and sleeping with a blanket at night!

No comments: