Saturday, 5 April 2008

Monday 11th Feb

Tonight I am probably the dirtiest I have been in a long time! I looked at my feet tonight and thought I was getting a really good tan. Not so much! They are black because of the dirt from the last two days. I choose not to shower this morning because I was going to the Boccaria (Dump) for Children’s church and honestly I still haven’t made the shower. I am sitting with really greasy hair, black finger nails, black legs, T shirt covered in sand, ash, snot, tears, dribble and honestly only the Lord knows what else! Yet somehow it’s not bothering me in the slightest. My hair has had so many small hands thought it today I may have to get my head shaved when I get home to totally get rid of whatever is now living in it. Oh and adding to all this another combination of Factor 30 and Jungle Fever. Oh the joy.

So today – 9.00 was orientation. 2/3rds of the long term missionaries are sick at the moment and a large % of the kids have Malaria. 10.00am was Staff worship in the prayer hut. Pastor Jose was there – it was great to see him and I chatted to him briefly.

Quick bite of lunch then of to the Boccaria. Being back here was amazing, the girl who went missing the last time we were here is now back. Aiada went missing on our second Sunday, a few days after Maddie McCann I remember being shocked at the differences in how the search went on and the resources available to both girls. The day after she disappeared I with a few others went and prayed with the family on the dump, they had recently lost their 6 month old baby due to malnutrition and now this, it was very hard but we never gave up hope and kept praying. It was a great day to get the email to say she was found alive and well and today I got to hold her in my arms and laugh and play with her. See Below.

My Portuguese is improving as today I was able to follow a game of Simon Says!
I loved being there and sitting in the dirt with the smell and ash. The kids are so happy, they have nothing materially but they enjoy life and love to interact with you. It was so much fun.

Came back and went straight to the play area where the toddlers were, then over to the Baby House for dinner time. Vasco has clung to me since I arrived. He fell asleep on my knee the first night, and today when I arrived he just came walking over to be lifted up and held by me, he is so lovely, it felt like I was home with him.








This evening I helped Linda round the hospitality area and chatted to some of the others around. Feeling a little lonely tonight which is an emotion I didn’t really expect but am sure will pass. The riots have not happened but the police have been outside the major shops heavily armed. I do still plan on going to Shoprite tomorrow….

No comments: