Being invited out into the community to a Mozambican’s house to really experience the culture felt like an opportunity not to miss. What a day.
I went with Tracey and her dorm to visit. What a blast. We were picked up and taken in the back of a small flat bed truck over sand roads, good job I am well padded. This was a real treat for the kids. I also think it was a real treat for the people in the community to see two white girls travel in the back of the truck and being thrown around.
We drove up hills, through “streets” marked by bushes and I know my sense of direction is normally good but today I wouldn’t have a clue. Sand, green bushes and grey block houses…..
So we get there. I am expecting to hang out for a couple of hours and then come home – but no. This was a massive party for us. A festa! The neighbours were there, and friends and some other kids from the centre who go there at weekends, the father in law – you name it… and of course what do the white gals do but turn up without skirts! No one said anything, so we think we got away with it.
Well what an afternoon. The house is still being built, so has two rooms, kitchen and an outside toilet – probably a long drop – for once I didn’t inspect them and am thankful I didn’t need to go as I am not really built to squat.
The interesting thing for me, is the fact that there is a massive speaker there something I would love to have!
I took great comfort in the fact that the kids bedroom was probably as messy as mine was when growing up. I love the fact that whatever the culture, as a teenager – a messy bedroom is ok.
The house has electricity and running water so that’s quite advanced. The kids played all afternoon, and used the parts of the house still being built as walls to jump off and leap over. There was great excitement when a hen ran through the garden – maybe that was me rather than the kids. It was great for them to experience what life is like living in family and community and for them to see where the Tia who works for them lives.
So the women must have been cooking most of the morning. We ate a royal feast. The kids had chicken, chips, rice and beans and what I thought at one point was Gabritto (Goat), we later discovered it was Bull.
We were then served. Now my fear is having to eat something I really just can’t. I think that happened today. We were served similar to the kids, but then on our plate was another piece of meat. At first I thought it was a mushroom, which I would have eaten.
However, what was on my plate, was a piece of the bull’s tongue! Very clearly defined! Darker underneath and red on top with taste buds still showing - it had curled up a little at the edged becuase it had obviously been boiled after it was cut straight from the bulls mouth.
I am sorry for those who think I have been culturally offensive, but sometimes you have to weigh up eating it then perhaps throwing up, or just politely passing. Marlita (the Tia) knows me so I felt it was ok not to eat it. The other thing I also didn’t quite manage to do was clean my chicken bones to the same standard as Mozambicans do. That really is a sight to behold.
So a lovely afternoon. A new cultural experience for me and something I am really glad I have done.
Sunday, 15 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment