Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Don't stop me now

What a week/weekend.

The embassy on St. Patrick’s Day was a lot of fun - there are a few Irish people here you will be glad to know. I am not the only one. The rugby on Saturday - WHAT A GAME! For those of you who like me didn't see it and maybe haven't heard. IRELAND WON THE 6 NATIONS. Not only did they do that but they also got the Grand Slam - a feat which hasn't been achieved in the last 61 years. OK so I am feeling very patriotic tonight.

The First Lady's visit by all accounts (for those who saw her) went well. I think I saw the top of her head and then went back to bed as I wasn't feeling that well.

Speak to those who did the catering: 40 extra guests, not enough plates, knives or forks. The Tias and one of the long termers cooked the day before only to discover that morning the Prima Dama (First Lady in Portuguese) was bringing her own food! It's OK breathe. Her food showed up late so she had to eat our food anyway. (The Lord is gracious and compassionate........)

So - Friday night saw me somewhere I never thought I would be. At an "Anne of Green Gables" party. Yes there were pretty dresses and bonnets and there are even pictures but not of me in any of this silly get up. Some of the girls did go to town. We were throwing a surprise birthday party for one of the other girls. Well there were a few too many bonnets for my liking. Anyway I survived and have not been turned into a girly girl yet. Try and pray as hard as you might I don't ever see it happening!!

And so to today. My bible school class on Leadership.

Someone remind me when I have a good idea to try a new teaching method here NOT to do it. My class is 1 hour 30 mins. Today I thought it would be "fun" to do a quiz on the gifts leaders have. I thought what better material to use than John Maxwell’s leadship teaching.

First mistake - they don't get senario or logic type questions.
Second mistake - anything other than a yes or no answer - forget it especially when it requires them to kind of agree, disagree or not have an opinion.
Third mistake- doing something never tried before.

25 minutes into the class and we were still on question 1, debating how to write down the answer they needed and if they needed to write down the question. Working out what the phrase "behind the scenes" meant. I could see there was no way we were going to get thought all 72 questions. I shall write to John Maxwell and ask for an African version of the questionnaire.

Oh the joys of teaching - when all else fails start drawing on the blackboard and illustrating points with stick men. Works a treat here.

No comments: