Sunday, 1 March 2009

The sound of Silence

Ok, so it has been too long since I wrote! I have been really busy with life here, plus I have had a few friends out to visit.

It has been reasonably “normal,” here with things going on as usual and not much to report. Heidi was here last week but I missed her as I was away for a few days.

I have been driving more than I have done before. Driving here is another story of craziness and something which increases my levels of trust in God!

Having my friends Jacqui and Isy here was a real blessing. Not only because they brought cases full of presents for the kids and me, but it was contact from home. Thank you to all who sent things. It really is much appreciated and they will be so useful here. Getting to hear U2’s new single was a highlight, as was the Haribo, flumps and Dark Knight. Being able to show people a little of my life here has been great. Isaac (age 10) was a hit with the kids, thought I think he found the attention at times a little overwhelming, but he was great with them and the babies.

Having people who really know me here and laughing with them has made me realise how little I get to do that. So the last week has seen a lot of laughter, from seeing a rat squashed under a truck to the kids learning to say “how do you do” as they shake your hand.

One thing which I am still laughing about – when in Mozambique you often find things are backwards, or in reverse, or have no logic. Often the taps are the wrong way round or a driver on the road will reverse when others are driving forward - that kind of thing. Anyway we went out for lunch – and ordered a Hawaiian Pizza – we were told there was no pineapple. That was fine - we decided to order anyway and it would just come with ham. Great! So the pizza arrived. It had tomato, cheese and ham, all the things we were expecting. What we weren’t expecting is the fact that they had used their brains and because they didn’t have PINEapple – they put apple on instead. Only in Mozambique! We did eat it, but it was weird.

We headed to Kruger for a few days where we saw 4 of the big 5 and have taken many photos to which I will post a link. Kruger made me realise the level of noise I live in here. It was peaceful and quiet, except when the Hippo talk. I have seen more birds than ever before in my life and also seen a monkey and a cricket attack people.

Lucia has been quite up and down. Isaac prayed with her when he was here ( I know others did too) but when we came back from Kruger she was so much better. That prayer was really answered.

Our Centre Directors leave tomorrow for their break and we are down to a few long termers at the moment, so lots of us are picking up extra responsibilities and would value extra prayer at this time.

No comments: