Why up so early? Well it’s simple, to see the kids with their stockings. Tracey’s dorm has eight 5-8 yr olds in it. Can you imagine the excitement? They had a sleep over in her room the night before and woke I am told at 6.15. I am glad I don’t feel called to be a dorm parent at this time of year, in fact any time of the year. I got to rack up at 7ish…. much more civilised. They each had a little “stocking” at their place on the breakfast table.
Walking through the door I was met with the screams of 8 very excited kids. "Look, look, look!" was being shouted at me from all around and of course at this time the sweets were all eaten and they hadn’t even received their Santa bag yet. It was the best way to start Christmas Day. From there I went to the Baby House, all the kids were waiting to get their presents.
The excitement there was even greater, and of course with more kids a little more chaos but it was excellent. Steve and Ros the centre directors go round each of the dorms and help hand out the gifts so this takes up the whole morning, they also have an entourage with them which makes for very full rooms with other long termers and visitors.
The nursery was lovely, sharing with the kids first Christmas. There was no big deal made about it, but for me this was something special.
Lucia's first Christmas.
Then came Christmas dinner. What a feast! The older guys had been up late last night decorating the church, and they did an amazing job.
Chicken, chips, rice, spaghetti, potato salad, salad. This was a feast for me and even more for the kids here.
Then came one of the other very special moments. We had asked that 100 kids from the Bocaria come up for lunch. When I say 100 there were a lot more. When they were leaving they were given a present as they left, to see their faces was just beautiful.
The long termers gathered in the evening for a party and food. Unknown to us the short termers had got together to do some carol singing for us- it was really very nice.
So with good friendship through the day, a phone call home and the company of many children, this all made for a great Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment