Tuesday, 23 December 2008

One is not amused.

Since Sunday I have not been very well, I slept a lot yesterday which left me wide awake last night. I was still on the computer at 2.45 when we had a power cut! Normally when the power goes off here, which is almost a daily occurrence a generator will kick in. When the power went of last night.... NADA - nothing. Silence, no motors kicking in, no sound of the generator hum, no sound of my fan restarting up, no sound of the freezer coming back on. So I lay in the dark with only the light of my laptop.

Well as you can imagine, the day was 116 degrees, so the night wasn't particularly cold! The temp started to rise in my room. I was sweating and not amused at having no electricity and no generator and especially no fan. I think i eventually fell asleep about 5am!

What I will say for not having the sound of a fan constantly going is that I get to hear the sound of Mozambique at night and the birds starting in the morning. If it wasn't so hot it would have been nice.

This morning when I got up and by choice had a cold shower, I woke to the news that in fact there wasn't a power cut at all. Some of the boys had jumped the fence flipped the electricity switches OFF so they could steal some people's clothes! One was definitely NOT amused on hearing this. So this morning I am sleep deprived, still not feeling great, and also have a sore finger because I had a Malaria test!.

These are some of the joys of living with 300 kids, some of whom are yet to become reformed thieves and street boys, and a large community living on the other side of a wall which is nowhere near high enough to stop them jumping over.

Sadly theft here is really on the increase. Its silly things which are being taken now, food from fridges, water bottles, cartons of milk. I wonder how much is desperation to find a gift at Christmas.

No comments: