Friday, 16 January 2009

7 in 7 days

In the last week we have had an additional 7 kids to the Baby House and 18 in total over the center, this feels like some sort of a record. It has been so amazing to be able to bring them here. Please see the photos.

The latest addition to the Baby House is Adilson who arrived on Wedneday. We are not quite sure about all the details of his story but malnourishment, abandonment by care givers, death of parents and possible abuse are all in the mix. What we have been told is that his care givers left him outside the house the whole day to look after himself. He is only just turned 2!

When he first arrived, when people went near him he let a defensive cry out of him. Thankfully I was one of the ones who he allowed get close. Big sad eyes, thin arms and legs and a extended stomach which most likely is full of worms as he has hardly eaten anything except dropped scraps of food.

Never in the West have I seen a 2 year old who knows to lift the end of their t-shirt to wipe their own tears away. The difference in a western 2 year old's life and one here really hits hard at that point.

Adilson turned 2 on Monday. I am sure there was no celebration over that and I wonder what those 2 years have been like for him.

I spent a lot of time with him on Wednesday and for a brief moment got a smile from his sad, scared face. I went back yesterday to playing with him and had another major break through – he started to laugh. I can’t begin to imagine what the adjustment is like from living in the community to here. But pray for him as he goes through it. He, like all the kids here is very precious.

Tonight church was yet another reminder of what God can do with broken lives. I watched one of our older lads deliver the message. “We must go and preach to the broken, the poor, those in jail. And take the love of God with us. God has a call for each one of us!” It did feel strange at the start to hear this message here, but yet so right. To see what happens in a young man's life when he totally surrenders to God and to see the anointing God has placed on him- feels like a privilege to know this man. The response was amazing and the church felt electric.

Well, I am off for a few days to the beach. This has possibly been one of the longest weeks since getting here. There are one or two “fires” I am fighting this week and would appreciate extra prayer. Also theft is mad at the moment. I arrived in church tonight to discover that the DVD player has gone. In one way this bitter sweet as we needed a new one anyway, but that’s not the point! Also do pray for Mozambique. Please see the news report.

So here’s to a safe journey and hopefully swimming with Dolphins (something I have always wanted to do).

No comments: