Thursday, 22 January 2009

Heartbreak and Joy

If you really want to be taken into new depths of understanding the suffering in this world then there is one simple request to ask of the Lord, “Break my heart with the things that break yours.” Let me tell you this is a very dangerous prayer to pray. I may have happened to utter these words a few days ago. It seems this is a prayer that the Lord is only too willing to answer quickly. BE WARNED!

So God took it upon himself to show me today one thing that broke his heart recently.
We have a new girl in the girl's area today and her brother has gone to one of the other dorms. She is lovely. Maybe I say that about all the kids, maybe I am biased but she really is.

We think that maybe she is 6/7 years old. Her mother abandoned them a while ago we don’t know when. So they were left in the care of their father. Her father decided to show her how much he loved her by repeatedly sexually abusing her. SHE IS 7 YEARS OLD. Every bone of righteous anger in me is ready for a fight tonight. Everything within me wants the world to listen to this. Yet everything within me knows, she is one girl. How many more girls are in the sex trade tonight, how many more is this happening to right now….. Somehow for me I find it harder when I know it’s a father who has done this. For me a family is a place of love and trust and safety (I know I am very blessed to have that). How can a father do this? How will this girl trust a father figure again… even more, how will she understand that the love from her Father in heaven is good?.

It wasn’t till I walked away from her that I was overwhelmed with sorrow and heartbreak for what she experienced. It took a while for the tears to stop. However, at the same time I was so thankful for her being able to come here and be loved by the amazing young woman who oversees the girl's area.

No comments: