From Mozambique Happy New Year. This is the first time I have seen the New Year in before anyone else in my family. Being on the web cam with Dad as he was in 08 and I was in 09 seemed a little odd and yet nice. They rang me just as we were hitting 09 which was lovely as throwing your arms round someone to wish them a Happy New Year didn’t really happen. This was partly because we had fireworks and when the loud ones went off the girls legged it and some of us had to follow suit and also there wasn't really anyone here to throw your arms around as it not the done thing. Being a little nervous about fireworks (ask mum and dad for the stories) I could understand their rational fear. I put my arms around one girl and had my hand on her chest covering her heart. It was beating so fast, adrenaline mixed with fear. Her grip got tighter as the bigger ones went up. A lot of the girls will also remember the bombs when they went off here and it does cause some bad memories to return.
At New Year the kids left on the centre are the ones who really have no family member anywhere. New Year is the big celebration in Mozambique (some would ask why it’s an occasion to celebrate another year of living hand to mouth). This being the case we find that a family member comes out of the woodwork to have their child back for the night but don’t want them living with them for the rest of the year.
In some ways I found it a greater privilege to see my New Year in with these kids who are in a sense the “true” orphans. A Bar-B-Que for hot dogs and setting fire to the wooden fence seem some of the high lights!. There was face painting, hat, bracelet making, games and movies. All this was topped off by the fireworks.
Mozambican culture is just bizarre. They enforce some of the craziest laws…. They are happy to let many death-trap vehicles on the road but dare set a firework off outside the 10 minute window that has been given and you get a heavy fine! Just as we finished last night the police came driving past making sure it was over and trying to catch us. Granted as most missionaries are white the police probably reckon we are more likely to have the money to pay a fine. However, in many ways I am glad it is enforced as the thought of fireworks in the hands of so many novice, and more than likely drunk users, strikes fear in my heart and makes me wonder how busy the burns unit will be in Hospital Central today.
The 10 minute window does make a lovely sight all around. As far as the horizon you see fireworks everywhere. At one stage just as we were walking back the power went off leaving us in total darkness and for a few moments the sight of all the fireworks was even more spectacular.
I was given a promise for 08 “Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing”. Coming out here was definitely the new thing and to enable me to do this. I had to lay down disappointment from the past and re-trust that this would be different. So far it has been and there have been many blessings and provisions met.
I am looking forward to this year not knowing what it will bring but holding a few things in my heart that I would really like to see happen. So knowing He can do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine I wish you all the richest blessing for 2009.
Thursday, 1 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment