30 years ago today a choice was made about my life that I don’t at all regret. I was chosen by my adoptive parents to come and live with them and make us a family. That choice was the beginning of what led to me ending up here in Mozambique.
We all ask the questions: “I wonder what if?” or “If only I…” How different life could have been. There are moments when I know that if that choice had not been made I would have had a very different life. A life which would not have been nearly as full or vibrant or joy filled as it is and I would never have met many of you who are reading this. Of course like most lives there are moments of pain and sadness but today I am choosing to forget all those and to look at my many blessings over the last 30 years and give thanks for the loving parents I have.
Being here makes me realise how immensely blessed I am to have this. I am surrounded by kids who, at a very young age, have come to live here because a parent has died, abused or abandoned them or they are safer here. Some of these kids have no choice in this situation or the choice has been made for them.
God stepped into my life the day I was conceived and thought I was worth breathing life into. I know that some days God and I have big battles when I am not feeling too hot about life and the problems I have, which of course is me just having a grumble and not really being serious about the circumstances I am in. But on the whole I can look back with my “years of wisdom” and see his purpose and plan for me.
God thought I was worth fighting for to ensure that his plan came into being, and he placed me in a family. Each life that we come into contact with is also worth fighting for - for salvation, for health, for love, for respect. What is your reaction to the one on the street? Do they just annoy you, or do you see past the dirt and see a broken person just needing to be shown love? Every person is a human being and has a story, some of which are full of pain and some full of joy. But the choice is ours how we treat them , react to them or whether we choose to make their day better or worse. Do we choose to bless them or curse them? Words are powerful - chose carefully how you use them.
I love the scene in Indiana Jones when he has to choose the Holy Grail. “You only have one choice, choose wisely”.
I know some haven’t had great parents but we all have a Father in Heaven who loves us lavishly, who looks at us and cries with tears of joy as he carries us in his arms along the journey. The choice today is how we respond to him.
Monday, 12 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment