So after a long and reasonably uneventful journey (nearly leaving my passport at securtity in Heathrow, a delay of 3.5 hours in Kenyatta Airport…. So the place you want that to happen, £40 for excess baggage, 4 movies under my belt and landing in rain). I arrived in Mozambique. A guy at the carousel when he saw my luggage asked me if I was coming home after being away which I found myself kinda thinking yes was the answer. Whether that is the same answer after a few weeks only time will tell.
It was lovely to be picked up at the airport. What I mean is it was nice to see familiar faces rather than the men hitting on me. Now whether it’s an educated guess (as I am a white westerner) but they said you come to work at Zimpeto you know Mama Heidi! Mama Heidi is Muito bom. I found it slightly strange that they could see what I was coming to do.
Anyways, after a quick Shoprite trip and a drive round the city I was back on base. Stepping out of the car the first kid I saw was Pai. He looked at me and said you kept your promise. The promise being I would be back in a year and there I was. A number of the other kids remember me. Quite frankly who could forget but it’s nice to be back with them.
Tonight I feel like a kid at Christmas. The centre director sat me down and said Chris here is my vision and what I want you to concentrate on for the next 3 weeks. I want you to record and produce a CD!!!!!! And then maybe get another on out before Christmas. How amazing is that. I can’t believe it.
Its been a while since I have done studio work but the guys who left for America have brought back about 10,000 dollars worth of gear with them. It’s just amazing that they have their own studio here….
So that’s what I am going to be working hard on for the next 3 weeks I can’t believe I have had to come to Africa to get to do something like this. Granted I have not seen the studio yet but I am so up for the challenge and a small hot sweaty room….. Woah Who!!!
It feels like a real gift from God to be given something so exciting to ease me into life here.
Anyway, for those of you who like to know about the weather. It’s very humid and its rainy season.
One of the areas they want me to work in is the nursery which is a real chore….the nursery is going to house 0-6mth olds…. It just seems like a real hard area to be working in, babies, poo….crying….. cuddling…loving…caring….snot.. dribbling..cooing….I don’t know how I will do it.!!!!! Good job the Lord gave me Oscar J to prepare me.
After last night I am also thinking of starting a cockroach count. Killed 3 in my first night. Not bad. Now to the very loud frogs outside my door. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thursday, 13 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
great to hear that you have arrived safely and that you are excited about the recording project! and wonderful to have been so warmly remembered by the kids. hope you find a solution to the frogs, or that you find a froggy chorus outside your window soothes you to sleep instead of keeps you awake!
Get a cat - great for controlling the frogs. Not so great for controlling the cockroaches... I think Doom or Raid (or whatever your local variety is) is the only stuff that works on those critters.
SOOOO thrilled you're on the best continent in the world. Now, just to work out how to make a time to meet up...
Post a Comment